Top 10 Best Practices
- Shred all financial documents before throwing them out.
- Purchase a locking mailbox or route mail to a post office box.
- Distrust e-mail links - instead, type addresses directly into the address box.
- Protect your computer with a firewall and anti-virus software.
- Don't disclose social security numbers or other confidential information.
- Download software with caution - avoid downloads from questionable web sites.
- Create unique passwords, commit them to memory.
- Don't open e-mail attachments from unknown sources.
- Don't put personal information such as your SSN on checks.
- Purchase identity theft protection.